[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 91, Issue 27 - performing with multi-effect processor

Richard Hammersley wrote:
<An alternative to the RP355 is the Line 6 Pod. I bought one after
<seeing Fraser Speirs live, liking his sound and looking up what he
<uses at fraserspeirs.co.uk. I have an original Pod, but there are now
<many other versions. I previously had a Zoom  multi-effects pedal,
<which was not as good for harmonica (or guitar). Apart from liking the
<sounds, I like the Pod interface because it is NOT a foot pedal but a
<box with knobs you can twiddle. This makes it very easy to adjust
<one's sound on the fly. I find this easier than scrolling through
<menus on little screens - particularly as nowadays I need reading
<glasses and honestly can't see the red digits properly down by my
<feet. Of course the downside is an endless hunt for the "perfect"
<sound. If Richard Hunter did patches for the Pod I'd be very interested.

Line6 makes great-sounding stuff; for that matter, so do Zoom, Vox, and others.  The reasons I've focused on the Digitech devices up to now are:

1)  Feature for feature, Digitech's gear is about 1/3 less expensive than Line6's, and the quality of the tones is certainly comparable.
2)  Digitech's software support is better than anyone else's.  This is really important in terms of how easy it is for my customers to load up the sounds they need, fast.  (And it's also important in terms of how easy it is for me to create and manage the sounds.)

I keep monitoring what's available from Zoom, Line6, etc. with an eye to what devices I develop sounds for next.  Right now, I think my customers get the best value for money from the Digitech RPs.  But this is fast-developing technology, and who knows what tomorrow might bring.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick