[Harp-L] My "original improvisatioanl solo" submitted for David Barretts analysis

David Barrett recently added "Improvisational Studies" to his bluesharmonica.com site. His guidance, suggestions and homework assignments are very very thorough- helpful and inspiring.

I sent him this instrumental>>> http://www.box.net/shared/e4i66l9e9i<http://www.box.net/shared/e4i66l9e9i><<< for him to analyze. It's a Rumba backtrack played on a G Hohner Crossover harmonica in 3rd position. There are a couple (chucka chuckas) added to the beginning and the end of the song that where played on a Low D Hohner Special 20 harp.

I used a Shure controlled magnetic mic, through an old small Pa system amp with a 6 in speaker. I miced the amp with a Shure 57 and recorded through Audacity on my computer, there was a little echo added too.

Below is Mr. Barrett's critique , what an honor to have him as a teacher. I have been following his "methods" for 15 years and owe him a TON of praise for my development as a harp player. I'm a hobbyist and David's instructionals truly make learning and progressing a FUN activity! Below is his analysis - he was very kind, I think?

Hello Frank... here we go.

CH1 - FN: 4 - CF:  A A1 A2 - Texture: Single & Octaves - Range: 1-5 (Head)
CH2 - FN: 4 - CF: A1 A2 A3 - Texture: SIngle & Octaves - Range: 1-8 (Head Variation)
CH3 - FN: 9 - CF: A B/A C - Textures: Octaves - Range: 4-9
CH4 - FN: 2" - CF: A B C - Texture: Single & Two-Note - Range: 1-6
CH5 - FN: 4 - CF: A B C - Texture: Thick Junior Wells Licks - Range: 1-6
CH6 - FN: 2" - CF: A B C - Texture: Sigle Notes & Chords - Range: 1-6
CH7 - (Head)

I nice composition Frank. Listening to the song many times and and analyzing it... here's what found...

- Your focus notes for the song are all D (4) or F (2" and 9)... changing this up will help

- I feel you're playing too many notes in each chorus... by limiting your range a bit, especially in the opening, the notes you do play down to road become more "special"... remember that notes have an expiration date... play them too many times and the go stale :-)

- Your technique is very good and your ability to play octaves on the high end is an asset.

- I like how you mic up your textures and chording... some fun stuff here

- I like that you used a head

Best Regards,

David Barrett

The Future of Blues Harmonica Education IS HERE!
BluesHarmonica.com