Re: [Harp-L] Re: Cables: Are there really any sonic differences?

Hi Garry,

I don't think it's that science has no place in this discussion, it's more that
a scientific test requires investment & funding...who pays for it? The market in
terms of % penetration of the general population is pretty small, respondents
would expensive to recruit & need paying for their time...yes, this kind of
testing/research takes place every day, but you typically are talking about
products with $million shares in even bigger markets.

Subsequently, typical tests are carried out at grass roots levels, by hopefully
unbiased participants. I agree that you have no firm way of assessing
evidence...but if, for instance, in idependantly run tests, a particular cable
consistently scores highly, I think it's perhaps reasonable to assume that not
everyone involved in those tests is an easily influenced, new agey, dreamer.

For my part I'd love to see some scientific assessment/evaluation...I just don't
have the $50K-$100K & 3-4 spare months for test design & data collection, plus
whatever for scientific testing...then repeat every time a new product hits the
market. But science is normally used to back up, or otherwise, perceptions that
have been established by less formal means. So either way, even if not
definitive, these testimonials/empirical tests are part of the process...

Ultimately, in a perception driven market, based on subjective opinion, a
successfull company is aiming to provide a product that people like, if it has
tangible benefits too then all the better, but sales is the bottom line. At
least the testing carried out by Jim Rossen's bandmates & myself (for example)
is independent from manufacturer influence/agenda.

All the best, Mark.