[Harp-L] Hohner Chromonika III

Aloha Everybody,

I just got back from a Craigslist rendezvous at which I bought a 16-hole Hohner Chromonika III. It's in great shape; all the reeds seem to work, and the slide moves as it should. Really, it hardly looks used. Even the case us in good shape, though worn, and the woman who sold it said that it's about 70 years old. Her father played it, she said. It cost me $40, and I don't know what kind of deal that was. Seems like a good price to me, and I'm psyched to get on it. I've never played chromatic, and I'm looking forward to the challenge. My thing is blues, and I don't know how well-suited this harp is for blues.

Now, my question is how to refurbish it. As I said, it looks great, hardly a scratch on it, but when I blow it, it has that dusty, grody feel of a harp that hasn't been played for a while and should probably be cleaned inside. I've never opened up a harp, and I sure don't want to screw up this thing. What do people suggest?

Best wishes,
Ken

The Editorial Outsource
806 Kauai Street