From: Brendan Power <bren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Harp-L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, June 29, 2011 11:23:26 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Brazilian Suzuki Endorsers

The USA has long been Harmonica Central, but anyone in touch with the
contemporary scene will know that certain other countries have developed
particularly healthy harp cultures that throw up a clutch of great players.
France is one, and another that instantly comes to mind is Brazil.

Suzuki is proud to announce endorsement deals with three of the finest
modern Brazilian harp players - all quite different in their chosen
instruments and musical scenes, but really worth checking out if you don't
know them already.

THIAGO CERVEIRA
Thiago has been quietly wowing attendees of the past two SPAH events with
his intelligent, original approach to the diatonic harp. (In case you need
reminding, he was that modest guy sitting in a corner playing jazz guitar
and outstanding improvisational harp in a rack). Thiago takes his own road,
using a tuning that is the bottom 3 holes of the diatonic mirrored all the
way up. It requires a lot of precise bending but he's really carved out his
own style with this layout - as you can hear in these videos:

Blues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSavyqHpRZA
Jazz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC5ZnNbF9w
Bossa Nova: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGPlyALCLC4

It's refreshing to hear a truly original approach on the diatonic. You can
hear more of Thiago's music here: www.myspace.com/thiago_cerveira

ROBSON FERNANDES
Robson is more in the old school Blues vein, known  in Brazil and beyond for
his fat tone and clean technique. He mixes the classic Green Bullet sound
with occasional overblows and fast runs. If you like contemporary harp with
a strong Blues basis, check him out:

Website:
http://www.robsonfernandes.com/

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5OLKT-ufsk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr9AGL4BG8A

PABLO FAGUNDES
Pablo started on the diatonic but has become known for his dedication to
playing Brazilian music styles like choro and forró on the chromatic
harmonica. It's a beautiful thing hearing him totally in sync with the great
musicians of his home country  - he makes it sound as if the chromatic was
made for this music. If you want to hear something exotic and different on
the chromatic, have a listen to Pablo's playing in the clips below.

YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Rd6pgVH7I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7OfkFq6t8I&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIBJXr1hFmA&feature=related

Website:
http://www.myspace.com/pablofagundes1

These three Suzuki artists are just a few of the excellent contemporary
harmonica players in Brazil's thriving scene, but they give you an idea of
the wide range of styles played to a very high level there. I've never been
to Brazil but it's top of the list for places I'd love to play - maybe 2012!

Brendan Power
WEBSITE: http://www.brendan-power.com
YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/BrendanPowerMusic