RE: [Harp-L] Thorens

Thorens is a Swiss company located in Sainte-Croix in the Swiss Jura, not
far from the border to France. They started out as a family-owned business
building music boxes in 1883. Sainte-Croix used to be the center for that
and the whole of the Swiss Jura is also known as "Watch-Valley" due to the
early established precision engineering industry. There are small and
mid-sized factories all over. 1914-1952 Thorens produced harmonicas. You can
see them on one of the pictures in the linked cronicle (in German).
http://www.thorens-info.de/html/thorens-zeittafel.html.

Nowadays Thorens builds some of the world's best turntables for vinyl
records and pretty awesome analog HiFi equipment
http://www.thorens.com/turntables/drives.html. I used to own a TD126 MK III
myself and it was fabulous.

Back to harmonicas: There was one for sale on Ricardo (the Swiss "ebay") a
while ago. I am sending you the link for the pictures
http://www.ricardo.ch/kaufen/musik-und-musikinstrumente/blasinstrumente/mund
harmonikas/thorens-mundharmonica-nr161-in-ovp-made-in-switzerland/v/an642049
890/

I assume if they were built the same way as Thorens's other equipment that
they must have been pretty good. I guess that some people here in
Switzerland still could build some pretty awesome harmonicas if they wanted,
but I doubt that they could compete...

Cheers folks

Tom