Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 94, Issue 29

Leonardo Cozendey Crespo <cozendey@xxxxxx> wrote:
>I want a pedal train with the following pedals
>
>Harp Delay
>Harp Octave
>Harp Attack
>Tone+
>Boss DD-3
>Micro POG
>Line Rotomachine
>
>This is the sequence i have elected as the best:
>
>Mic
>A/B Box (as an on/off switch)
>Harp Delay (always on delay)
>Harp octave
>Effect loop pedal
>Loop 1 - Micro POG -> Line 6 Rotomachine
>Loop 2 - Boss DD-3 (looooooong delay)
>Tone+
>Harp Attack
>DI Box
>Amp or PA
>
>With this setup I can play with PA (harp attack and DI at the end), guitar amps (Tone+ at the end) and my harp amp (harp delay mostly)
>
>The quation are:
>1. Is the sequence too long? I didn't noticed tone sucking and the tone's being great but, i'd like to have your impressions.
>2. Any other sugestions for sequence?
>3. Does any of you have any expering with a pedal train like this or quite like this?
>
>Any comments are great.

The first thing I did was total up the estimated price for this gear:
A/B Box (as an on/off switch)		$ 40
Harp Delay (always on delay)			$125
Harp octave					$125
Effect loop pedal				$100
Loop 1 - Micro POG -> Line 6 Rotomachine	$200+$200
Loop 2 - Boss DD-3 (looooooong delay)	$100
Tone+						$125
Harp Attack					$125
DI Box						$ 80
						----
						1220

Not extremely high, though several hundred dollars higher than doing something similar with amp modelers and other multi-fx (three RP355s on the floor would run less than $600 and would include between them most of the FX listed above). The harp attack pedal is a good addition to the kit--without it a hefty tube amp would be needed.  You wouldn't need the harp attack with an amp modeler pedal, since they serve the same function.

The second thing that strikes me is that there are no modulation FX in this kit--no flange, no chorus, no phase shifter, no auto-wah.  Relatively few harp players use these FX, which is either a warning or an opportunity depending on your point of view.  It's more surprising that there's no reverb in the kit, though you've got two delays, and my guess is that the one that's always on is doing slapback.

I don't see any reason why this setup wouldn't sound good.  You might need to add a noise gate at some point, but it's all quality gear that makes good sounds, and all the sounds are good for harp.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick