Re: [Harp-L] Customized Shure SM57 review

HI Greg,
I looked back at the history of mics I've owned since the 1970's and I've always seemed to gravitate toward the pistol grip or swivel head type mics.
Maybe it was the Butterfield connection. I think that's what attracted me to the Granelli. Your volume pot, which I love, was never at the heart of the decision.
Good to know it can be reversed.

My first 2 mics were a SM57 and 545. That was it for about 20 years. In the mid 90's I purchased an Astatic 200 from a local flea market dealer. About 2 years later he became hard up for money and offered his collection of vintage mics to me for $200. In there were an EV 630, 664,623, Turner 22-D, Astatic 10da and a bunch of other mics that I can't recall model #'s. I owned a lot of bullets since then but the pistol/swivel heads became my favorites for gigging.

It wasn't until about a year ago that I pulled out my SM57 and started gigging with it as an electric harp mic. It is very hot and took some time to get use to blowing harp through it. I mainly reserved it as an acoustic mic since it is lo z.

You are right that there isn't much air space behind the element. I know every mic differs in performance even if they are new off the shelf. I've heard that with brand new SM 58's and other brands of vocal mics. My guess is the older SM57 (about 10 years) is just hotter then the Granelli. Both of my original Shure's died several years ago so I'm working with replacements now.

I'll contact you down the road to modify my current 545 connector. You've already made 2 vol. pots for me and worked on my 10da this past year.
I'm real happy with all the work you do.

Mike