[Harp-L] Joel Andersson with Bodhran, XB40s and Tremolo Harps etc.

Wow, Joel. That's one damn fine set you played. Wish I could hear a better
recording of it.
But it's clearly a great rendition of some classic tunes. Nice to see the
audience reaction to it. The Paddy Richter XB40 seems to me about the best
available 10 hole diatonic for these tunes. I use the XB40s straight up, but
haven't done any re-tuning; I  just try to draw down for the lower 4th or
6th. Here in Western Mass we have a strong tradition of traditional music
and some great sessions; my favorites mix Irish, Canadian (mainly Scottish
and French) and locally composed tunes, many from the local Contra Dance
tradition. Still Irish tunes and players are the most common. I seem to be
the only person in this part of New England or as far as I know the rest of
the region who plays this stuff on the harp. Maybe Harp L can point me to
some others. Lord knows we have fiddlers galore, whistle players, concertina
etc.  I have taken to using solo tuned tremolo harps for a lot of these
tunes as well as chromatics rooted in home or closely related keys. The
tremolos are really fast and I like the chorused effect of the double reeds.
Note placement is a little different, but the breathing patterns are the
same. Below are a couple of reels of mine on a Suzuki Humming Tremolo in A.
I'm doing a show in August, part of which will focus on a number of tremolo
pieces.  I think these were much more common instruments in traditional
music in the early 20th century. The French Canadians actually used some big
tremolos as lead instruments in early dance bands. Still trying to learn
more of the history. Anyhow, Thanks for the post. Will check out your other
Youtube stuff. Wonderful playing!!

Best Regards,
John Coster
www.johncostermusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/johncostermusic#p/u/1/MkJbYTw5xwU

Hello!

I have recently returned from a trip to Ireland! In this clip here Im
playing with 5 times world champion bodhrán player Junior Davey!
The harmonica and Bodhrán suits so well together!
The tunes are: Trip to sligo, Kid on the mountain and The corner house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdBYghCYdCE

Any feedback would be great! Good or Bad =)

Kindest Regards
/Joel Andersson
Sweden

www.youtube.com/joelandersson1