Re: [Harp-L] off-line file transfer session recording

Robert Hale wrote:
<Hi Steve,
<
<Can you comment on the business of remote recording sessions using off-line
<file transfer?

I'm not Steve, but perhaps the following will be useful.

As Steve points out, you need a home recording studio.  This can be a very simple setup.  The most important thing here is that you have a room, or setup, where you can record a clean harmonica signal without noise, and without getting the sound of the room in the recording. I strongly recommend a recording rig that allows you to record at 24-bit resolution; the noise floor is a lot lower than 16-bit.  Make sure that your audio interface can handle 24-bit if you're using one to record to a computer.  I use several interfaces; for on the go recording, I like the Tascam US-122 or the Line6 UX2.  the latter is especially nice because it comes with an app called Gearbox that emulates some very good hardware amps and preamps.

My room doesn't sound great, but hand-holding the Fireball V mic produces a good, clean sound without distortion or room interference, and that works for me and my clients.

I typically ask my clients for an mp3 mix that starts at measure 1, beat 1 of the song, with a lead-in if available.  I record my parts as separate tracks, and send the client a rough mp3 mix of my part(s) combined with the original mp3 via email.  When the client approves, I get paid via Paypal.  Then I send the harp tracks (usually in 24-bit 44.1 kHz format) via a free service called YouSendIt, which can be found at Yousendit.com.

Sometimes I send the tracks in both raw and processed forms, especially if I want the client to hear what the part would sound like with some FX or amp modeling on it.

That's it.  Pretty simple, and offers quick turnaround for all concerned.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick