Subject: Re: [Harp-L] bluegrass at SPAH

Still hoping I can get to SPAH but wanted to add my appreciation for all of
 these BlueGrass/teaching posts of Cara's. Not only is she a friend, she's
so  talented and just plain fun to listen in to even if one isn't
participating in  the BlueGrass playing.

One of my best SPAH memories is from Denver (2006)...Cara leading an
impromptu Country jam downstairs with the sun streaming in the Atrium windows -
a group of people gravitating towards the sound so it rapidly evolved from a
 small gathering to a BIG party, people playing and singing along to
(naturally)  John Denver songs, among others. Even those who might usually find
John  Denver's music somewhat 'corny' joined in with gusto because of Cara's
obvious  talent and the huge smiles on the faces of those participating.

That's what's particularly cool about SPAH. EVERYthing is or  becomes
'cool'. Toss all preconceived notions about music away and just  have fun, even
if the music is outside one's normal comfort zone.

Among other great memories from Denver (Bobbie G taking turns on 2 wheels
on the way to the Blow-Off in her usual Indy Car driver style comes to  mind
<G>), that play-along stood out as an absolutely  fabulous time. I was
supposed to be somewhere else (as is usual at SPAH) but  couldn't tear myself
away so settled in and simply enjoyed singing and playing  along on my
chromatic when and where I could 'fit in'.

Cara's a multi-talented SPAH treasure. When not performing/playing she's
usually then in full teaching mode - even when nearly asleep on her feet at 3
in  the morning (this after jamming with Jason Ricci and David Naiditch)  -
 another particularly great moment I won't soon forget from Sacramento
(2009). Cara always seems to summon her 2nd and even 3rd 'Winds' to  keep going
after everyone else has conked out. It's made for some  great SPAH memories.

Elizabeth

"Message: 12