[Harp-L] bluegrass at SPAH

Salt Creek is a modal tune and can ONLY be played in 2nd position.
Great tune -- I played it at a jam Monday night.

I keep reading that harmonica can't compete with banjos and fiddles in
a bluegrass setting. In my own experience, harmonica can be played as
loudly as fiddle or any other instrument. Definitely louder than
guitar. Work on breathing smoothly and strongly from your diaphragm.
Getting more volume takes practice but is definiteloy doable.

Another way of getting more volume is to play in the higher register.
The high notes definitely cut through the sound of the banjos. For
example, if you start Red Haired Boy on draw 4 you get lots of sweet
high notes up to hole 9. Sounds great! Same with Old Joe Clark ---
start on draw 8 and resolve on blow 6. You can play lots of great
triplets up there too.

Higher pitched harps can also help. I have been experimenting with a
high G at jams. So far I like it.

See you atr SPAH.

Bill