Re: [Harp-L] bluegrass at SPAH

Sweet Georgia Brown is not a bluegrass tune, per se.  It is a jazz tune.
However, it is not uncommon for bluegrassers to enjoy a good jazz tune every
now and again.  Without that interest, Farewell Blues (Earl Scruggs),
Florida Blues (Chubby Wise), Foggy Mountain Special (Don Reno), and any
number of other jazz and blues tunes would not have become bluegrass
standards.  Some of the jazz/blues standards that can be found at bluegrass
jams are Lady Be Good, Sweet Georgia Brown, Birth of the Blues, St. Louis
Blues, and Summertime.  They aren't claimed as bluegrass.  They are simply
enjoyed amongst the bluegrass.

Since Bill Monroe went out of his way to learn about blues/jazz as it was
played in his part of the world and added it in places to the music he was
marketing, with more and more blues/jazz coming in with new Bluegrass Boys,
who can claim that similar ventures into the same realm of blues/jazz were
wrong?  I find it most interesting that old jazz standards bear some of the
same structures bluegrass tunes do to the extent that the same advice is
given between the two music worlds:  'Get the story started, expand on the
story and explore it, but always come back to the story -- or the story
won't get told.'  (translation: Start with the melody, wander with it in the
middle if you like, but always come back to the melody.)