[Harp-L] Endorsers - Ethics

While I do not call myself an expert in business ethics, I have had more
than my fair share of dealing with unethical business people and give
regular guest lectures on business ethics at local university.  Having said
that, I would be more comfortable with endorsers and endorsement
arrangements in general if I knew:

(1) what the performer is receiving for his endorsement.  Is he a paid
spokesman or just receiving free equipment or a discount?
(2) what equipment is he receiving?  Are they stock off the shelf units or
special units that have been tweaked at the factory?
(3) are there any ancillary agreements such as guaranteed gigs, tours, guest
appearances, etc.?

We are all big boys and girls and should know that the smiling face telling
us they play only Hasenfeffer may or may not actually prefer them to
Sukiyaki, etc.  But, a little transparency would add a lot to the
effectiveness of the endorsement, at least for those of us who are cynical,
because a lot of us take it all with a grain of salt as is.  The one guy I
know that has a deal with a company does indeed play their harps  .... out
of the box, middle of the line units last time I checked.  And, in his case
they sound darned good.  The local endorsement means a lot because you can
see what's happening.  But, we really can't see that with the big endorsers.
Just random thoughts on the thread.

Bill Kumpe
Tulsa, OK