[Harp-L] Know someone who deserves a SPAH award? Nominate by July 15

What if nobody received an annual award from SPAH this year? If youâre a SPAH
member, you may not have noticed the Awards Nomination Packet among all the
convention literature that came with your last Harmonica Happenings.

The deadline for receipt of submissions is extended to July 15, 2011.

If you want to nominate someone for an award, get the award nomination packet
at:

http://www.spah.org/images/stories/convention2011/SPAH%20Award%20packet%202011-02.pdf

You donât need to use the forms in the packet to submit a nomination. Email your
submission to spahawards@xxxxxxxxxx

Below is more information on SPAH award

Excellence is a quality that is worth honoring. Do you know a harmonica player,
or builder, or maker of harmonica related gear you feel is so exceptional, so
excellent, that you feel they should be formally recognized?

If youâre a member of SPAH, you can nominate someone for one of the three awards
that SPAH makes every year to honor exceptional members of the harmonica
community. This year is no exception, and now is the time to nominate someone
you feel is worthy. Evaluation and final decisions are made by the SPAH Board of
Directors, and awards are presented at the annual SPAH convention in August.

One of SPAHâs current goals is to get the SPAH community more actively involved
in honoring our exceptional players, writers, teachers, builders, and
manufacturers. To that end, weâre working to clearly state the criteria,
demystify the nomination process, and make nominating candidates easier. Hence
this announcement to the larger harmonica community.

June 30, 2010 is the deadline for nominating candidates for 2010. This deadline
was incorrectly stated in the Spring 2010 issue of the SPAH magazine, Harmonica
Happenings. I apologize for the short notice, but this responsibility fell to me
quite recently and itâs taken a little time to put together the materials. In
future we should be able to announce earlier in the year and process nominations
more easily.

You can read about these awards, the criteria, and the procedures in greater
detail by downloading the SPAH 2011 Awards Nomination Packet from

http://www.spah.org/images/stories/convention2011/SPAH%20Award%20packet%202011-02.pdf

The packet contains the criteria and procedures for all three awards,
biographies and photos of the luminaries for whom the awards are named, and the
nomination forms for all three awards. You can print the forms and send them by
snail mail, or you can fill them in electronically and email them back to an
address on the form.

So what are these awards?

The SPAH Award of Special Merit honors individuals or organizations who may or
may not be harmonica players but who benefited the harmonica community in a
manner that is deserving of singular honor.

The Pete Pedersen Lifetime Achievement Award honors individuals who have a
record of achievements over a long period of time that may reasonably be
considered to be the virtual equivalent of a lifetime. Candidates that have
established themselves as outstanding harmonica players are preferred.
Candidates should be active in promoting the preservation and advancement of the
harmonica and the positive and meaningful interaction of harmonica players and
devotees. Candidates should demonstrate generosity in sharing their talents and
knowledge, and in remaining accessible to members of the harmonica community.

The Bernie Bray Harmonica Player of the Year Award is awarded to individuals
whose proficiency in playing the harmonica is a source of pride for the
community â the Bernie Bray award is for excellence in actually playing the
instrument. The award is for distinction demonstrated or attained recently,
preferably during a twelve month period prior to the deadline for nominations.

Thanks for your attention. I hope we can nominate some really deserving
candidates this year with plenty of input from the SPAH membership.

Winslow Yerxa
SPAH Awards Committee
Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com