RE: [Harp-L] When do get started with amplification?

Jake-
It sounds like you are on your way.

If you get one of those basic old style Pignose amps that can run DC with 6 AA batteries, you will notice that the amp is less noisy if you run it from the batteries. Using the AC adapter will pick up interference especially from fluorescent lighting. Keep the input cable unplugged when you are not using it and the batteries will last a surprisingly long time. Also, by opening the hinged door you can get a little bit of tone control.

The mic sounds like a good choice to me. In case you do not know already, cupping the mic tightly to seal off the air pocket between harp and mic will make a huge difference in tone and is something that is very important in creating and finding your desired tone. Tight cup = darker and fatter tone; loose cup = more bright tone with a more acoustic sound. Welcome to the world of amped harp playing.

Have fun!
BW