Re: [Harp-L] When do get started with amplification?

OK on the pignose, but skip the cheesy mic. The pignose will sometimes be just the thing you need. It's a keeper.

But ditch the crappy mic. It will just will eventually end up in some other place anyway. With all the other crap.

Get a Shure SM57 or SM58. They run right around $100 new and still one of the best values around. And then that SM58 will sometimes be just the thing that you need, ten, twenty years or more down the road. It's a keeper.

Check eBaY. (Too many Chinese knock-off s on Craigslist) I just took a look on the baY and there's a sm58s with switch SM-58S - buy it now for $109 and free shipping. Plus you get a 20ft XLR cable, a mike-stand with boom, a mic bag and clip. Whole shooting match for $109. Or one of the many completed auctions that went for between $50-$60 And get a XLR to 1/4" Lo-Hi inpedance transformer for $12
$70-$121 not wasted. I still have mine after 35 years.

I prefer the 58 if I'm only going to have one. It's a little better for vocals and it has a ball on the end to make it easier to get a good cup with harp. If you're main intent is to mic an amplifier cabinet, go with the 57. There is a good reason why these two mics have been the standard of the industry for decades.

So, now you're in for $150-$175 and you have stuff you will keep and use for many years. If you keep at playing music, you're going to do it sooner or later anyway.

When life asks you to jump in...
Splash!