[Harp-L] Re: Stretch

I tune all my harps on a Korg chromatic tuner originally developed for piano tuners with a choice of three sets of built in stretch parameters, a bit like small, medium and large. I always use the "small" one (i.e. minimal stretch) from top to bottom of all harps in all keys and that works absolutely fine for me. So far, no-one has ever complained about a harp I tuned for them being out of tune.

In my view it's essential to tune the lower draw notes slightly sharp in relation to the other notes if, and this is very important so I'll repeat it, if and only if you are tuning using minimum air pressure. I always tune like that, as the only truly reliable guide to the actual pitch of the reed is its free-swinging frequency, and the only way to obtain that pitch is with minimal air pressure. When you play with "normal" air pressure, the reed will sound considerably lower than its free-swinging pitch (will vibrate slower than at its free- swinging frequency, as the air pressure acts as a brake). This means it's essential to compensate by tuning these bendable reeds slightly sharp. How sharp is dependent on the key, as reeds of low pitch will likely go flatter than higher pitched reeds.

If you tune with regular playing pressure you'll almost certainly be flatting the lower draw notes already, so then there's no need to compensate. However, if tuning for others you'd better be using a comparable pressure to those players, otherwise the pitch may well be right for you but too low or too high for their accustomed air pressure/intonation. Any tuning values I may give always refer to the pitch when using minimal air pressure.

Fine tuning any instrument is about achieving a viable compromise which works in practice and reflects the needs of the player. It isn't an exact science and experience is the best teacher.

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.european-blues-masterclass.com
www.harmonica-masters.de