From: Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Jul 4, 2011 4:27 am
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] tune the higher notes sharper or lower?

The Iceman wrote:
<human ear can not determine a difference in tones until they are at least 3
cents apart. this is based on info <I learned as a piano tuner and based on
laboratory type testing.

I used to tune pianos for a living.  The reason some piano tuners use a
"stretch" tuning (meaning a tuning with the upper octaves tuned slightly above
pitch) is that piano strings exhibit a phenomenon known as "inharmonicity," in
which the stiffness of the string inhibits vibration of the normal harmonic
nodes on the string, making it sound out of tune.  This effect is pronounced on
the highest notes on the keyboard, where the strings are very short and under a
lot of stress.  (It's also an issue on bass strings, especially when the piano
is small, meaning that the bass strings are relatively short.)

Harmonicas are not subject to this phenomenon, because harmonica aren't stringed
instruments.  So I don't see a lot of value in tuning the upper register notes
sharp.

As per previous comment, it might be useful to tune lower notes on the harmonica
up to account for the flattening in pitch that occurs when those notes are
played hard.  But I wonder what the chords will sound like afterwards.

Regards, RIchard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick