Re: [Harp-L] best advice for a new comer?

joe hagins wrote:
<I have been playing harp for only 2 months (I use a custom wood comb with LO plate and Hohner MS Blues covers) <I plan on getting a full setup of these and used a Fender Champ 600 and an old EV mic.
<What I would like to know is what keys do I need to buy to start playing with a band (blues/folk/rock)?

Depends a lot on a) the style the band plays and b) the keys the singer prefers, with the second factor usually the most important.  I've been listening to a Creedence Clearwater boxed set lately, and about two thirds of the songs are in the key of D, with the remainder split between E and G (and occasionally something different, like A or F).  You could cover the entire repertoire with six harmonicas.

Bands that play stringed instruments like guitar, mandolin, etc. tend to favor the keys of E, A, G, D, C--keys on the sharp side of the circle of fifths.  Bands that play horns tend to favor C, F, Bb, Eb--keys on the flat side of the circle of fifths.

So you might want to wait until you're part of the band and can find out what keys they prefer before you stock up.

One more thing: A Fender Champ 600 makes a good sound, but it's not a very high-powered amp.  Can you take a line out from that amp to the PA?  If not, you may find that it's not loud enough to make you heard with a full band.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick