[Harp-L] On The Road Again (Powerbender), Charlie McCoy

Hi Y'all,

When I was in High School we had a Jukebox in our cafeteria. I can remember leaning against the jukebox, lost in Canned Heat's "On The Road Again" a bunch of times one year. It is one of those tunes that got me interested in the harmonica. I didn't know till years later that Alan Wilson had changed the tuning on his harmonica to play the one "really cool bend" in his solo. All I knew was that I could listen to that recording over and over....

So when my friend Jamie Rounds asked me to add harmonica to his cover of "On The Road Again" I jumped at the chance. Jamie is a songwriter who lives in Nashville, and he sent the files to me online. I tuned a harp just like Alan's harp, with the raised 6 draw note, and got to work. I finally decided to go with a Powerbender harmonica with Brendan Powers tuning, cause I could get that "note" with it, plus surprise myself with some ways to vamp with the chords in the middle of this tuning.

Here is a link to the end result:

http://rsleigh.com/on-the-powerbender-road-again/

It was fun to see what I could come up with under a short deadline.

Right after we finished "On The Road Again" Jamie did a session with Charlie McCoy and wrote an article on it. It is a snapshot of the kind of sessions that the pros do all the time in Nashville, and I like what he has to say about Charlie's attitude. Here is the link:

http://www.examiner.com/music-in-nashville/nashville-session-legend-charlie-mccoy

Happy Fourth of July!

Richard Sleigh
P.O. Box 23