[Harp-L] Turboharp ELX (was: Turbuharp ELX electric harp)

On or about Jun 30, 2011 11:16am, fjm, alias "bad_hat" remarked,

> ...I'm also kind of surprised that Jim Antaki has been so quiet about this
project.

Turbodog's reply:

Thanks to everyone who has been so supportive our project. The ELX actually
dates back to 1991, when Dr. Hank Bahnson and I first instrumented a Golden
Melody with a pair of proximity sensors to measure the reed motion. By
accident, I connected the output of the sensors to a PA system (long story)
and suddenly realized, "hey this is an electric harp!"  What has stifled us
for all these years is really lack of working capital. The project is too
big for us to self-fund, but too small to interest investors.  We had
presented it to Hohner about 10 years ago, but there was no interest.

What I like about the Kickstarter concept, as contrasted with taking
"pre-orders" is that no one pays anything unless the target funding is
achieved. And ostensibly, if the project flops, you get your money back...
at least in our case, that's what we promise.

I've kept a low profile on Harp-l for two reasons. One is being constantly
overwhelmed by my day job. Second is my reluctance to self-promote on this
discussion board.

That being said... since you opened the door, there are SO many projects in
our lab, in varous states of completion that I've been trying so hard to
introduce. On account of time and capital, its been a Sisyphysian struggle.
There are literally a dozen projects, related to reed materials, racks,
educational and practice tools, and even a new kind of tablature (TurboTab,
patent pending.)  My dream was that one of these projects would be
successful enough to fund the others.  I was hopeful that the TurboSlide
(the diatonic harp with magnetic "whammy bar") would be the one.  But, with
the exception of a few highly enthusiastic customers, the overall interest
has been anemic. Nevertheless, we're about to release a less expensive
version of the TurboSlide (based on a Hohner S20 rather than expensive
Seydel Silver) that I'm hoping will be more popular.

When Seydel came out from under bankruptcy, under the skilled management of
Lars Siefert, I was again hopeful that it would be an opportunity to
translate our development bench to a commerical partner. Alas, Seydel also
had their own cache of innovations that they were likewise straining to
introduce... and have been doing so ever since.

Hence our Kickstarter campaign.

In summary: yes, please do tell your wealthy friends about the ELX!  And
thanks again for your interest and support. Its because of you that I
continue to press on.

TD