Re: [Harp-L] Bluegrass

Michelle made some great points, especially about using the tongue to make the
chop. You're basically making air dam, building up pressure and letting it go.
The hand thing she was talking about is also a very good point, I can illustrate
what she's talking about with the hands with this video below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNmhiwGPWV4
It's certainly not the best rhythm I've ever played, but it illustrates a lot of
points I want to make, including what to do if you screw up.
A couple of things I can add about the chop, first if you watch a mandolin
player (such as Steve Williams in the video above) you'll notice that it's not
like they are holding their hand still until they chop, there's a false strum on
the non-chop beats. That's another way the hands really help. If you are closing
your hands on the beat you aren't playing, it helps you keep a better rhythm. On
the 48 chord, you don't use your hands, so I wind up playing softly on the
non-chop beats. It's really hard to skip a beat and hit the next one in time, if
you're not doing something in between. I'm usually playing a real soft chop on
the 1 and 3 three beats. On the diatonic, it's rarely audible. I just do it to
help me keep the beat.
 You also don't have to chop every single beat. I usually play some kind of
pattern with a rest or a riff at a certain point, just something to break up the
monotony.
The key to not getting lost is learning how to reset yourself and getting back
on the beat. Don't be afraid to reset yourself if you have to. It happens to all
musicians sometimes. At 1:02, I lose the beat. So I stop playing until I get it
back again. Honestly, I was probably daydreaming and forgot where I was or
something. That happens sometimes in informal settings - that's why they're so
much fun.
But it happens to even the best musicians. Below is an example of a Porter
Wagoner reset on "Another Day, Another Dollar:"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImLLPm7Mjtc
Porter was supposed to kick it off, but the other guitar player jumped the gun.
I think anybody starting to play music with other people could benefit watching
how Porter handled it.  He strums really lightly, almost a false strum until he
catches the beat.  Once he's found the new beat, he looks over at the other
guitar player to make sure he's still going on the same time and not trying to
make an adjustment to match Porter. After confirming that, he launches into the
song full bore. If you look at the expressions on everybody's faces, Porter
evidently was the only one who knew what the hell was going on... that's how
smooth and slick he handled it.
These are things you learn by playing with other musicians and a big reason I'm
always an advocate of getting with other musicians as early as possible, as
often as possible and surrounding yourself with musicians better than yourself.

Dave

Dave