Re: [Harp-L] Group Arrangement

I just happen to have the booklet open for Little Walter: The Complete Chess
Masters 1950-1967. This is the most recent compilation, with notes and
discography by Little Walter biographers Scott Dirks, Ward Gaines, and Tony
Glover.

The discopgraphy in the notes reveals that Willie Dixon played bass on the great
majority of Little Walter's recordings, Big Crawford on some of the early ones,
and various players on some of the later ones. The only Little Walter sessions
to exclude bass are the 1952 sessions that produced Juke, Can't Hold Out Much
Longer, Blue Midnight, Mean Old Word, Boogie, and Sad Hours.

That said, Dixon usually confined himself to a very simple part that gave
underpinning to the chord; seldom do you hear something like a walking bass line
from him - that part tends to be left to one of the guitars, playing a sort of
"upper bass" line.

Winslow

 Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com