Re: [Harp-L] Reading music

On Jan 31, 2011, at 11:18 AM, sheltraw@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>  One need not know how to read/write music (in conventional
> notation or otherwise) to learn music theory.

I cannot imagine a learning environment in which that would be true.  You said that standard notation facilitates communication.  Communication is necessary between teacher and student.

After I retired, I attended theory classes for five semesters.  I would have been lost the first day without a knowledge of standard notation.  All of the illustrations and examples in the book were notes on a staff.  The teacher had a keyboard that displayed the notes as well as sounding them.  Many of the exams were analyzing chords printed a staff.

Composition and voice-leading exercises required the student to write notes on a staff.  Even the blackboards in the classrooms had permanent painted-on staffs.

Vern