From: Michelle LeFree <mlefree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, 31 January, 2011 18:27:46
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Speaking of amp stands...

Vern writes:
> It is easy to over-estimate the directionality of an amp.  The mental image of
>a beam of sound emanating from the front of the amp like a beam of light is
>unrealistic.  Because  the speakers are small with respect to the the
>wavelengths of sound being produced, diffraction* causes the sound waves to
>disperse almost equally in the hemisphere to the front of the amp.  A better
>mental image would be to think of throwing the amp into a calm lake and watching
>the resulting waves.
>
> Turning the amp at various angles to a sound level meter and plotting the
>readings would show the directionality of the amp.  A cruder experiment would be
>to determine the minimum angle that could be detected by a blindfolded listener.
>
> * diffraction:
>seehttp://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/diffrac.html
>
> Vern

Amazing! Along with his usual flair at describing how physical and acoustic
science principles apply to the real world of harmonica players, Vern has just
issued the very first ~footnoted~ Harp-L post I can recall. In fact, perhaps the
first footnoted email list post I can recall ever! Gotta love 'im! :-)

What is it, 83 years young? And still pushing envelopes. Heck, I'll be delighted
to even be able to ~say~ "harmonica" at that age.

Thanks again, Vern!

Michelle

PS: Another slightly less crude way to demonstrate an amp's angular sonic
directivity might be to use a standard stage mic' as a sound level meter placed
at equidistant angular increments in front of the speaker as Vern suggests. Plot
the amplitude of the PA's sound level meter as a function of the angle in front
of the speaker.