[Harp-L] Shakey Jake (was Willie Dixon "Spoonfull")

Big Walter did go by "Shakey," but "Shakey Jake" was an altogether different harp player. Real name was James Harris. Lived 1921-1990. Recorded with Willie Dixon, Freddy King, Jack McDuff, Memphis Slim, T-Bone Walker, Otis Spann, John Mayall, Sunnyland Slim, Magic Sam and many others.

He was also Magic Sam's uncle (and sometimes self-appointed "manager.") A real character, Shakey Jake. Ex-professional gambler. I crossed paths with him many times when he lived in LA and had a small record label there ("Good Times Records.") Jake could talk a blue streak, and his BS always had me in stitches.

-Tom Ball

 Just wondering... didn't Big Walter also go by "Shaky Jake"?  I had a friend
 that used to play bass for him, and I swear that he always referred to Big
 Walter as "Shaky Jake"?

-Ryan