Re: [Harp-L] Newcomer with questions

Chris,

The draw reeds above hole 6 on a diatonic harmonica do need to be approached
a little differently than the draws 1-6. There's no spacial difference but
there is a different relationship between the blow and draw reeds in holes
7-10. You've probably noticed that in holes 1-6 the draw notes are higher
than the blow notes. In 7-10 it is the opposite - the draw notes are pitched
lower than the blow notes. The 7-10 draws are not as forgiving as draws 1-6
because they won't bend down in a standard Richter tuned instrument. It's
not so much an embouchure change as it is an internal chamber difference.
Think of breathing the air for those higher draws in a straight trajectory
from the hole directly into your throat. Try not to "pinch" the air flow as
you breath in but keep your mouth and throat relaxed with the throat open.
And it doesn't matter whether you're tongue blocking or lip blocking, you
need to isolate whatever hole you're trying to play so that it is completely
unobstructed and the reed is free to vibrate. Just as you described what you
did with your fingers, do the same with your mouth - that is, block the
adjacent holes so that your breath is only being drawn through the hole that
you want to hit. Hope that helps.

tom albanese