Re: [Harp-L] MS slot lenghths

<quote>
Hopeing to rebuild a '98 G Hohner MS into a Powerbender,
I borrowed an 8 hole 'E' draw reed from a '93 built A harp.
Much to my surprise, I discovered it to be too short !
Can somebody please explain...............
 Mox
</quote>

Here's a link to Richard Sleigh's excellent Web site.

http://rsleigh.com/

On it, you will find a reference (on the left side of the page) to "The Marine Band
Field Spotter's Guide." As part of it (toward the end), you will find "The
Marine
Band Reed Replacement chart and instructions - all of the
interchangeable reeds
in 18 keys from low D to High G." I think these documents are oriented toward
the Classic series rather than the MS series. I'm not sure if there are  differences
for the MS series harps. Contact Richard and I'm sure he can and will help you.

This document, in addition to Pat Missin's outstanding measurements of slots in
the Alltered States documents that Vern referenced, should make it relatively easy
to determine which reeds are interchangeable.

I'm building a Lee Oskar Circular tuned harp from a regular Richter Tuned "E" harp
and an extra set of "A" reedplates. I went to Lee Oskar to find out which keys were
long-slot reeds and which ones were short-slot reeds. That information is NOT in
Pat Missin's documents but is in Richard's. Please note that (according to Richard's
document), there is a width difference on holes 8-9-10 of the short-slot reeds.

Many, many thanks to Pat, Richard and Vern (and all the rest) for great information
and a willingness to share with the newbies like me!

Crazy Bob