[Harp-L] That great "Bluesy" stage sound

I agree with John, get a small 4 or 5 watt amp, to start, if you really want an amp.  or a modeler, cheap too.   But most important CRITICALLY LISTEN TO YOURSELF PLAY.  Record your playing.  Including playing WITHOUT amps.   It's painful, alas.  Compare your tone to your faves,  adjust your emboucher, learn to play chords and octaves, open your throat, drop your (pharynx? back of your throat), breath easy and smooth, get your air management together so you play what you want not just what's easy, try different harps and learn to adjust 'em to your style.   Shape your tone acoustically.  Some of the rasp you might hear on old recordings may be created without amp distortion.

I didn't get an amp until decades into playing, so my tone was hard fought and almost (never fully) wrought before I played thru amps to any real extent.   So I feel able to walk into any situation and (aside from monitor issues, ugh) play on whatever the system is.  Of course I prefer it "just right" and love ALL my amps, but any ol' way's alright if the music's lively or tight.

-Dave Fertig