RE: [Harp-L] That great "Bluesy" stage sound

I've been following this thread and have been reluctant to weigh-in.  In the past I've been rather harshly taken to task when I expressed the opinion that a small wattage amp like a 'Zoo is a better way to go than using digital effects equipment.  But I agree with everything Pete wrote--he's written a really thoughtful set of comments and suggestions and he's clearly a guy with a lot of playing and listening experience.  I strongly agree with the 'Zoo suggestion--especially the line-out option and Greg Heumann mod's.  There are other amps to consider such as a small HarpGear but we're getting into more serious money there.  Anything solid state leaves me cold and I have yet to play something that samples various amp rigs which sounds organic, natural and convincing.  But that could be just me.  I've owned a dozen tube amps over the years, both big and small, and the Kalamazoo's and the HarpGears stand out for me as the best-sounding of the bunch.  There are plenty of amps I haven't played-through which are probably great, but I've stopped searching for the perfect amp at this point.  There are also other mics to consider--I play mostly modified Astatics with a ceramic or magnetic element--but Pete's ideas are good here, too.  I like my audix fireball for its feedback resistance and clarity but I miss the opportunity to do hand effects and the lack of distortion.  But...amplifying upon ideas already discussed here (if you'll pardon an awful pun), I'd place equipment issues lower on the list of factors necessary for a fat, desirable tone than some other considerations.  For me, one of the most important things is to really take the time to listen to the sound you think you are seeking.  It's like approaches to foreign language acquisition which emphasize immersion--you won't sound like a native speaker unless you've exposed yourself to the nuances.  Discover what sound really appeals to you--for me it's guys like Big Walter, SBWII, Cotton--and immerse yourself in those sounds.  Drive your dog crazy by listening to nothing else.  Play along with the songs ad nauseum till you can always anticipate phrasing, even if you can't do it yourself spontaneously all of the time.  Gradually, over time, with repeated exposure, you'll may find that you shape your embouchure and arrive at a fuller, fatter tone through deep listening.  Sure, technique is important, too--if a fat Chicago tone is what you seek then the tight cup enclosure is a necessary part of the deal and tongue-blocking capacity is useful, maybe even required so you can at least hit the octave chords.  A tube amp that warmly breaks up just when you want it to really helps.  But your most important piece of equipment might be your ipod.  Just my humble 2 cents.

John