Re: [Harp-L] TurboSlide Circular?

>From my limited experience with the TurboSlide I'll attempt to answer your questions:

(1) How is each magnet adjusted to give an accurate half step shift. Is
it the position of the magnet that is adjusted?

 From their website (pdf document):

"If you wish to adjust the pitch of any of
the (bent) notes, you can remove the cover plates (with the provided phillips screwdriver) and turn any of
the setscrews clockwise (for lower pitch) or counter clockwise (for higher pitch.) You may remove the
magnet on any particular hole altogether to eliminate the bending effect"

This is what I did and indeed I was able to adjust the pitch by a very noticeable margin.

(2) I would think there would be a change in the responsiveness of a reed
when the slide positions the corresponding magnet over the reed. Is this
change significant.

There is a change indeed. When the slide is activated it reduces the gap of the reed. If the reed is gapped too close to begin with , then the bent note might choke if you attack it hard. Increasing the gaps solves this problem. I noticed this on one reed and it was not a problem when  going down from the unbent note, only when attacking hard the bent note by itself.

(3) Is the pitch of neighbouring reeds affected by the magnets?

I did not noticed any changes. What I noticed is that you have to be consisted in how you assemble the harp back.  I noticed a slight difference in the overall tuning of the harp depending on how tight the coverplates were. Very tight coverplates flattened the harp, loose covers sharpened it slightly.

(4) The standard chromatic harp appears to be more robust and less
expensive design. Am I wrong?

It may be true, the TurboSlide is a new concept being tested in real life by a few adventurous players, myself included :)  :)

 One thing for sure, the TurboSlide is way less "leakier" than a chromatic. It also lets you slide gradually to the bent note. On the chromatic is and "on and off" deal.

 If for any reason, later on you don't like it, just take the slide of and you still have a nice Seydel 1847.

And the number one reason for me: I LOVE the sound of the diatonic.
(I can not really overblow in a musical context. I am working hard on my valved bends,... started valving several of my harps.)

Otherwise , yeah, just go for a chromatic.

Hope it helps,
Regards,
daniel