[Harp-L] Fw: To plink or not to plink; that is the question.

------Original Message------
From: Paul N.
To: pneupco2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: To plink or not to plink; that is the question.
Sent: Jan 26, 2011 6:49 PM

Plinking. It's supposed to set the newly gapped reed so that some sort
of 'memory' doesn't cause it to resume its old setting. And I do it
faithfully whenever I adjust the reeds on my harmonicas. But why must I
plink them? All plinking does is to make the reeds vibrate. When I am
done gapping any particular reed, I always try it out immediately to
see if I got things right. This is easy on a draw note because I do not
have to take the reed plate off, I just play the thing as usual. I
check the blow notes by putting the reed plate up to my lips and
blowing through the reed just worked on. Anyway, this playing causes
the reed to vibrate, just like plinking does. So again I ask: why is
plinking necessary, when you get the same effect by just playing it?

Thanks for any information.

Paul N.