[Harp-L] Re: Bluegrass - The 48-Chord and alternatives

<quote>
I am currently in a bluegrass band and am interested in
what the 48 chord can do in this genre. I watched this
video and was impressed. Then I saw the price. Is there
an alternative to this harp/situation? I know what a
diatonic can do.

Thanks, John
</quote>

John,

I wasn't ready to make the financial commitment for a Hohner 48 Chord - they're $2k + here in Australia.  So I opted for the cheap alternative as a 'test vehicle' and got a Chinese Swan 48 Chord compact.  They're only 4 reed chords (rather than 8) but the layout is the same and the build quality is pretty good.  I picked mine up new on Australian eBay for $185 with free p&h, so at less than 1/10th of the price of the Hohner, I reckon its good value for money.

If you do get a 48 Chord, Dave Payne's instructional videos are great.  They focus on bluegrass, but are really useful for anyone trying to master the 48 Chord (they are not very intuitive harmonicas!) regardless of genre.  Once the limitations of the Swan start to impact on the quality of music (rather than the limitations of the 'driver'!), I'll think about an upgrade.

I was sufficiently impressed by the Swan build quality to try a similar process with their Bass Harp.  This is much easier to learn (two octaves on C, laid out like a piano - 'white' notes on the bottom row, 'black' notes on the top row (with gap fillers on the top) and all blow).  I've got a son that plays upright bass and electric bass guitar and a daughter that plays electric and acoustic bass guitar, so its been pretty easy to get some bass instruction.  I got the bass harp for Christmas and its appearing at its first gig tomorrow night, so it must be pretty easy!

The 48 Chord is a longer term project - getting my head around the layout is the main hurdle.  Dave does a great job of explaining it in his video.  I think of the chord like a rhythm guitar and the bass is obviously a bass, and the two of them give me a bunch of options over 'just' the diatonics when playing with others - be it the kids (there's a guitarist son too), or at a jam or with the harmonica ensemble (my main gig).

I'll have to have a go at one of those strange harps with a button on the end one day too. Given I'm barely intermediate on the diatonic, can only play a simple bass line and am still haven't got the basics down on the chord, I might do some consolidation before I look at a chromatic (but Swan do a nice 16 hole for under $100, so if I want to try chromatics I'd probably start there).

All the usual caveats - I was given a Swan diatonic many years ago and it was very leaky, then the comb cracked.  Their 48 Chord is pretty solid, the bass a little less so.  Both have proved great value for money, particularly here in Australia where the Hohner equivalents are unbelievably expensive.

Have a hunt around the online shops and eBay - it would be rare for the US not to be cheaper than Australia so you shoukd beat the price I paid and if you do I'd recommend giving the Swan 48 Chord a try.

Cheers

Maka