Re: [Harp-L] Bluegrass

My highlight of the bluegrass jam at the last SPAH was when David pulled out his chord harmonica and flawlessly played the challenging tune, âLonesome Moonlight Waltz.â (PT Gazell also played a wonderful version of this tune during his performance on stage. You can hear a sample of this tune on the ârecordingsâ page of my website, www.davidnaiditch.com.)

Iâve jammed and performed at hundreds of bluegrass festivals, including some in the South. Iâve noticed the Southerners tend to be much friendlier to harmonica players. When I show up at a jam, the assumption is that I know bluegrass, and folks seem genuinely curious how Iâm going to play, especially when they see me holding a chromatic. They donât seem surprised that I know the tunes and can play the melody lines. In contrast, when I show up at a bluegrass jam in California and they donât know me, I feel I need to prove myself before being welcome. My theory is that bluegrass is part of the Southern culture and folks assume that when you show up at a jam, you know and respect the genre. In California, musicians sometimes join bluegrass jams with little or no understanding of the music, and this seems especially common with harmonica players. Over and over again Iâve seen harp players join a jam without knowing any of the tunes and without following the established jamming etiquette. They play everything as if it were a blues tune, miss chord changes, and stomp on other peopleâs breaks. I doubt that the South often sees such players.