Re: [Harp-L] Bluegrass: thoughts and observations

Trip,

What caught my attention in your last post is this little innocuous-sounding line:

> you have to do the work and understand the role of the instrumentalist in a band that prominently features vocal harmony.

I've just joined, in the role of an accompanist, a band that prominently features vocal harmony. (Bass, guit, mandolin, plus me on short harp.) I've discovered for some of the songs (mostly originals) that if I think violin I stand a better chance of finding my way in.

Wondering if you could offer a few more words about how you understand the role of the instrumentalist -- for instance, your role in Whistling Wolves (you guys sound great, btw).

John