Re: [Harp-L] Correction of attribution: pencil lead as an antiflux agent

On Jan 15, 2011, at 6:06 PM, Robert Coble wrote:

I recently responded to a request for information regarding lowering reed pitch using solder.
In that post, I thanked Vern Smith for the idea (because I got it directly from him).

I am informed that the technique originated much earlier on Harp-L (long before I ever
though about putting a harmonica in my mouth). Michael Easton got the technique from
his Dad. Mega kudos to both for sharing a very valuable technique!

I love this community!
Crazy Bob

Pencil lead is actually 'Plumbago' lead.. OR 'roasted' lead. Commonly called graphite. It has long been used in crucibles for precious metals. Reason? It won't hold ANY of the precious metal. It is so slick it is used to lubricate any item where an oily residue would attract dirt/dust. Like lock sets, vaults, and like that.

smo-joe