Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic cover lids modification

Vern,

Thanks. You have convinced me to stay the course. What you say makes sense to me.

Denny

On Jan 14, 2011, at 12:32 AM, Vern wrote:

If many buyers think, as you do, that openings in back of a harmonica have a perceptible effect on loudness, the manufacturers will cater to those beliefs, whether or not they are true. Hohner has actually claimed that different types of wood used for combs produce perceptible differences in tone! Manufacturer's, in an effort to differentiate their harmonicas from those of the competitors, will often make claims that are not fully justified by acoustics. A common ploy is to exaggerate some minuscule effect.

Hearing is a very subjective sense. Listeners will report hearing what they expect to hear. It requires testing under very carefully controlled conditions to avoid these subjective effects. Knowing whether the opening in back is larger or smaller will affect what you think you hear.

Human hearing is logarithmic. Sound level is measured in decibels. An agreement is made on a reference level of sound pressure that is barely perceptible to the "average" person. Then the db level of a sound is ten times the logarithm of the ratio of the sound pressure to that reference. A human can barely detect a sound level change of 3 db where the level is suddenly changed....as in an A/B test of hi-fi speakers. Yet a 3 db increase is a doubling of the sound pressure! If you listen to a sound in a room, then go to lunch and come back to the room to hear the same sound at a different level, it takes a very much larger difference to be perceptible.

Any slight change in the opening will have only a small % change in the level and will be imperceptible to your ear.

However, it is your harmonica and your ears. If you do not find my arguments persuasive and you want to cut or bend open those covers and rejoice at the increase loudness, have at it.

Vern