Re: [Harp-L] lowering the pitch of a reed with solder

What Larry calls "solder gel" is more commonly known as "flux".

Solder will not adhere to metal properly without first applying to the metal
surface a substance that will assist it to adhere to the metal. This is flux. It
can be in a pasty or liquid form.

Some solder has flux integrated into the solder. It comes as a hollow wire, with
flux in the middle, so that the melted solder and flux arrive together on the
metal to which the solder is applied. Some solder has a solid core, requiring
flux to be applied separately.

By first applying flux to the area where you want the solder to adhere, (and
using Vern's pencil method) you can be more precise in targeting the placement
of solder on a reed.

Winslow
 Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com