Re: [Harp-L] Toots (and Q)

As is my nature, I find a musical influence/inspiration and then immerse myself in it for a bit. The latest is rediscovering Quincy Jones in all of his evolutions, from big band jazz in the late 50's through tv/movie soundtracks in the 60's on into amazing funk inspired versions of popular 80's tunes and beyond. One interesting thread weaving all of these is that Toots is included in all of Quincy's visions as an important sonic herb and spice. It contains some of Toot's most soulful playing (including a good amount of electric guitar/whistling), always tastefully surrounded by arrangements that enhance rather than obscure. Q had a way of taking a big ensemble and lightening it up to its most basic sounds, leaving plenty of space in the mix, and he used quite a lot of harmonica (chrom and diatonic).

-----Original Message-----

From: Rob Paparozzi <Chromboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Feb 25, 2011 4:08 am
Subject: [Harp-L] Toots

Hey Friends,

Thought I'd share this gem....I commend Wim Dijkgraaf for his extensive
breakdown and analysis of Toots!

Probably the best Ballad I ever Heard Played on Chromatic.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg5v-DAvwSM

and here's a cool write up from 1978 from the Master himself......
http://www.jazzprofessional.com/interviews/Toots%20Thielemans_1.htm

Love & Peace,
Rob Paparozzi
www.robpaparozzi.com