Re: [Harp-L] Ancestor of the harmonica

I believe the Japanese have a similar instrument; called a 'sho', I think.
RD

>>> Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx> 23/02/2011 18:26 >>>
The sheng and its cousin the Khaen (which resembles pan pipes) are often cited
as ancestors of the harmonica.

However, this oft-repeated bit of wisdom is far from established fact. No direct
link can be demonstrated.

One very important difference is that the reeds in shengs and khaens will not
sound unless coupled with a pipe tuned to the note that the reed plays. This is
not true of harmonicas, accordions, pitch pipes, and their various cousins.

The critical difference is that when a reed is mounted above the reedplate,
instead of being level with and a part of the plate, it no longer needs to be
coupled with a tuned tube. This innovation (a European one) allowed for the
invention first of the pitch pipe, and then the various mouth organs and squeeze
boxes that were invented in Europe starting in the early 19th century.

Pat Missin has done some excellent research on the topic, which you can read
here:

http://patmissin.com/history/history.html

Winslow
 Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com