Re: [Harp-L] Bluegrass: thoughts and observations

A good, useful, tool for learning how to play a few common bluegrass tunes
and how to become a little more comfortable interacting in a "jam" situation
is the DVD "Bluegrass Jam Session" by Texas Music and Video (available from
Texas Music Supply --
http://www.texasmusicsupply.com/bluegrass-jam-session.html).  (It may be
available elsewhere, too.)  You can play the DVD and the jam plays the tune
for you (each player taking turns on the solo while the others -- and you
-- play rhythm) then the jammers on the screen play rhythm for you to play
the solo.  (One of the difficult things to learn to do is to switch between
playing a solo and background fluidly.)  The tempos are normal, so you can
even use the video to practice learning a tune on the fly (simple melody,
then adding a little flourish while maintaining the melodic path).  It isn't
a panacea, but it is a great tool for those who would like to get started in
bluegrass.

The DVD was initially created (analog on VHS) in the 1990's by Alan Munde
and Joe Carr (from Country Gazette).  They were/are associate professors of
music at South Plains College in the Country and Bluegrass Music Degree
Program.  They developed this DVD, and others, to be study tools for their
students.  They are also involved in Camp Bluegrass (also at South Plains
College -- www.campbluegrass.com) and the HIll Country Acoustic Music Camps
(www.hcamp.org).

It doesn't matter what instrument you wish to play in bluegrass, the DVD
will still be a useful woodshedding tool.  It is not instrument specific.

Cara