From: steve warner <10reedsbent@xxxxxxxxx>
To: todd allen <soundguyaudition@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, February 19, 2011 1:10:02 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] What Effects Pedal to buy?

Hmmmm...one thing I notice.  You said a 533 Spherodyne and a Green Bullet.  The
Shure R33 element isn't known for a nice midrange grind  and since you're using
an SJ 4-10 that has great low end and is real warm sounding.  Those 2 together
aren't a real great match for drive.

I've A/B'd many many mics through Gary's amps I know this for sure regarding
most Dynamic mics- that accentuate the lows- they don't sound real good through
his amps.  Hot midrange toned mics sound KILLER though!
 I'm also wondering if your GB is the 520DX....nasally tone.  That would make
sense why you're looking for more drive.

If your GB has a Controlled Magnetic or a CR  element then you will have more
midrange grind with Gary's amps and it should sound real nice!  Now some Mexican
made CM mics are pure crap and some sound bad to the bone.  Odd quality control
for some reason.  I've got good CM's should you need one.  I don't charge like
some guys I've sold them to that turn around and double the price right back to
Harp L'ers.  Shame shame.

If your GB is the Mexican DX model then I would seriously think about getting a
better CM or a Controlled Reluctance element.  That will give you way more
drive.  I do know Madcat uses a Blues Driver from Boss, however, his mic is low
Z and he needs that to up his sound.  Sounds pretty good too.  I sat in with him
and was very surprised at the tone.

Now if you already have a GOOD CM in there then I would refer you to Randy at
www.lonewolfblues.com  and see what he's got brewing up in his laboratory.

  He's leading the pack with this pedal stuff and builds amps too.
Make sure you tell him what gear you have and what you're trying to accomplish.

 hope this helps some.

I'm looking to buy a overdrive pedal for my Sonny Jr 410 I currently run a MXR

--

steve
www.myspace.com/thunderharpmics