Re: [Harp-L] explain Position Playing

Point 3. as stated can be misleading if not read very carefully (and if it can
be misread, it will be). Position really only describes one thing: the
relationship between the key of the harmonica and the key of the music played on
it. When it comes to defining scale patterns, tuning plays just as important
part as position, and a change in the scale pattern due to a change in tuning
has no effect on position.

For instance, the scale patterns on a solo-tuned diatonic are different from the
scale patterns on a standard-tuned diatonic. But the positions are the same - C
on a C harp (regardless of tuning) is still first position, G is second, D is
third and so on.

Point 4 does not take into account that the positions concept is also applied in
a useful way to the chromatic harmonica, where bending is not needed to create
missing notes.

Point 5 confuses terminology. "Tonic" and "key center" do mean the same thing,
but "root" means something different. If you are in the key of C, then C is the
tonic or tonal center ("key center" is not a standard term). However, the word
"root" applies to chords, and not to keys. For instance, I could be playing in
the Key of C and play a D minor chord. At that point D would be the root of the
chord being played, while C is the tonic. If I move to a G7 chord, the tonic is
still C, but now the root of the chord is G. And when I move on to play a C
chord, C is the root of the chord, and is still the tonic.

Winslow
 Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com