Re: [Harp-L] Re: AAaaarrrgh! - P 255

<bluesbent@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
<My RP 70 has plenty of volume at RP master level '65' thru a PA Hi-z 1/4" input (and directly into <my powered PA speaker).
<...BTW, I've created 2 patches for the '57 Tweed Deluxe amp model- pretty good deal for under $80

I went and checked out the specs for this device at Digitech's site.  It's powered by the AudioDNA2 chip, which is good, because it's the same chip in the higher priced models.  However, I think most players are better advised to get an RP255 or 355 (or a used 250 or 350), for a few reasons:

1)  The RP70 has no expression pedal.  That pedal allows you to bring FX like reverb and delay, or pitch shifting, or rotary speaker speed, in and out of the mix under foot control.  You don't know how important that is even for amped blues until you don't have it anymore.  It is SO nice to be able to adjust reverb level or delay time on the fly to suit the song and the room, or to put a little more drama into a solo.

2)  It's missing a lot of amp models from the higher-priced devices, including some of my very favorites for harp, like the Bassman, Champ, and Matchless.  It's also missing most of the cabinet models I use most frequently in my patches, such as the 4x10 Bassman cab.

3)  It's missing several of the reverb and delay models, though the delays that are there are good ones for harp.  The plate reverb is missing, which is a very nice reverb indeed, especially for acoustic stuff.

4)  It's missing a LOT of the FX in the 255 and 355, including the Whammy, which allows you to pitch-bend entire chords up and down in real time.  And of course a lot of the FX it does have, like vibrato and rotary speaker, are MUCH more expressive with a foot pedal.

I agree that the RP70 is a good deal for under $80, and it has a few things in it that will work well for harp players.  If funds are extremely limited, it's a good entry point for amp modeling--the reverbs and delays alone make it a better deal than the Boss FBM-1 or FDR-1 (bassman and deluxe reverb pedals respectively).

But for less than $150 for an RP255 (new), and a little more than that for a new 355, (and $100-$125 for a 250/350/255/355 in good condition used), you get a whole lot more.  That's why I recommend those devices for harp players.  (I'd recommend the RP150 or 155, but it doesn't have that foot pedal.  Did I mention that the foot pedal is really important?)

Of course you almost always get more for a little more money...

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick