Re: [Harp-L] Music that sounds good in only one key

On Feb 8, 2011, at 7:34 AM, Aongus Mac Cana wrote:

In a thread on "Perfect Pitch" some time ago I seem to remember that someone
remarked that people with that particular gift can detect "D ness" or "G
ness" or "whateverness" when they hear a piece of music.
Beannachtai
Aongus Mac Cana

That may have been me Aongus. It has always seemed (to me, at least) that a lot depends on the vocal range of the PLAYER. For example, I happen to be baritone and when I go to sing or hum a piece, it naturally seems to start on the key of A. So, I long ago noticed that other people will start higher and sometimes lower. If higher, the person always has a vocal range higher than mine. And conversely with people whom start lower. I'm wondering if this could be the reasoning behind some keyboard players feeling as they do. But, of course, I have absolutely no scientific basis for this. I have run into the same thing with keyboard players.

As an aside, I have also noticed that when I am playing a chromo (but not a diatonic) that the sonics coming off of the #5 blow reed seem very 'penetrating' to me. A sort of deeper richer sound than the other reeds. I have often wondered if this is because the vibrations match my vocal chords, and hence set up a 'match' through my ear/nose/ throat/sinus/adenoids connection? Doc (God rest his soul) Bahnson and I had talked about this at great length. Hank was the one who made the vocal pictures of Howard Levy at U of Pittsburgh Presbeterian Hospt. He wasn't able to get a consensus on me because my adenoids and sinus' are wrecked.

p.s. Henry collaborated for many years with another doctor (James Antaki). So Dr. Antaki is another genius at these pursuits. .

smokey joe