Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 11:42:15 -0500
From: "John F. Potts" <hvyj@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Typical keys for blues
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

If a player carries harps in these keys it will cover second and
third position playing on at least 95% of the tunes that get called
in blues, rock and R&B:  G, A, Bb, C, D, Eb,  F.

The next harp to add would be E because the key of B does get called
every now and then (more often in rock or folk than blues) and the
next harp to get after that would be Ab.

For second and third position playing, if you have these 9 harps, you
will be covered for 99% of the situations you will encounter playing
blues, rock and R&B.

If you start using fourth position for minors, these 9 harps will
still pretty much cover what you need.  Now, if you are going to get
into using fifth position for minors, you may need additional harps
in some of the other keys.

But you can get A LOT of mileage from the 9 harps mentioned above.

JP