  From: Tony Eyers
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Monday, February 07, 2011 3:06 PM
  Subject: [Harp-L] tab question

  This thread seems to follow on from the Reading Music one. These threads
  come up regularly, sometimes with a little heat.

  Here is my take. I read music quite well - for baroque recorder. I play
  in a professional baroque ensemble, rehearsing and performing without
  music is out of the question. I hardly read at all for harmonica, over
  the years many of the elite players I've met are likewise. I wrote the
  following in one of my tremolo harmonica lessons (apologies in advance
  for quoting myself)

  "The ability to read scores is useful, but not essential. Many excellent
  players cannot read scores at all, or at best, only slowly. The scores
  in these lessons are an efficient way to show the notes and the rhythm.
  But, the aim is to play music. As soon as possible, learn the tunes,
  ignore the scores and just play."

  If reading music is the shortest path to playing it, the case for
  classical (and baroque) performers, then learn to read. Otherwise, just
  play.

  Tony Eyers
  Australia
  www.HarmonicaAcademy.com