Re: [Harp-L] Questing For a Basic Competency in Jazz

OK, I'll bite.

Jazz tunes tend to use certain types of chord sequences, and oft-used forms. The
obvious chord sequences are the circle-of-fifths things (ii-V-I, etc.) and
common forms include the 12-bar blues tricked with all sorts of variations, and
the 32-bar AABA form known as "rhythm changes" after I Got Rhythm. There are
more, but those are the two biggies.

One interesting approach to both of these facts is the "Harmony with Lego
Bricks" approach taken by Conrad Cork and some associated English musicians.
When he gets off his soapbox rant, he has some useful ideas. The main things
are:

1) Jazz tunes tend to be made up of several indentifiable interlocking "bricks"
or chord progression component segments.

2) Each brick can be identified by its structure, independent of key

3) Each brick has a specific function in moving the tune forward, delaying,
returing to a previous point, etc.

4) Each brick has a sort of emotional signature (that's probbly not the best way
of saying it) that you can learn to identify by ear.

The same types of chord progressions, amde up of li pop up again and again in
different tunes and different keys

http://jazztools.org/?page_id=52 (for the book/CD combo)

Winslow
 Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com

________________________________
From: Elizabeth Hess <TrackHarpL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

My current Mt. Everest is these lists of songs that the books recommend one
learn.  So many!  I have more or less resigned myself to the fact that unlike
blues songs, which all share a (nearly) identical chord sequence, the way one
learns jazz songs is "one at a time".  SOME are different tunes (heads) over the
same set of changes ("I've Got Rhythm", for example), but most are unique.  I
have my eyes open for the Unified Theory of Everything Jazz that will tie things
together.  The question that sums it up is, "What does a decent jazz player do
when a song is called that he/she doesn't know?"  What SHOULD he or she do?

Thanks in advance,
Elizabeth (aka "Chrome Lizzie"?)