Re: [Harp-L] Questing For a Basic Competency in Jazz

My current Mt. Everest is these lists of songs that the books
recommend one learn. So many! I have more or less resigned myself to
the fact that unlike blues songs, which all share a (nearly) identical
chord sequence, the way one learns jazz songs is "one at a time".
SOME are different tunes (heads) over the same set of changes ("I've
Got Rhythm", for example), but most are unique. I have my eyes open
for the Unified Theory of Everything Jazz that will tie things
together. The question that sums it up is, "What does a decent jazz
player do when a song is called that he/she doesn't know?" What
SHOULD he or she do?

Thanks in advance,
Elizabeth (aka "Chrome Lizzie"?)

Dear Lizzie,

If you don't know the tune that is called, just lay out. Don't play. It's as simple as that. Just set a goal to learn the tune the next time. Add it to your repertoire.
Politely excuse yourself from the jam for that tune, be honest with yourself and your fellow players. They will understand because everyone of them has been where you are.
Sit back and listen well. If there is a chart available of the tune, follow it along. Always be a student of the music.
Take care.

Sincerely,

Roger Gonzales
Lecturer in Music